Tuesday, September 05, 2006

The List


OK. So here's my list of the things I carry.

The necessities:
1. sunglasses. I'm sensitive to light and tend to wear them even when it's not real bright. my wife calls these situations the "rock star" look.
2. hat, broad-brimmed. on my dermatologist's orders, I have a green hat that I think looks vaguely military, but is probably better described as a fishing hat. from spring thru fall I try not go out without it. When I was a teenager there was a rumor flying around that wearing a hat all the time would make you bald, but it hasn't had that effect on me. I think that rumor was started by parents and grandparents who didn't like their children wearing caps all day long, especially in the house.

The accessories:
1,2,3. spiral flip pad, black pen, handkerchief. Remnants of a brief spell at a military school in an earlier life, I feel discombobulated without them. I certainly didn't retain much of my military discipline, but ever since I can't stand writing with a blue pen, and you never know when you might need to jot something down -- let alone blow your nose.

The secrets:

I'm really working to cut down on these, and on a good day I am filled with awe and wonder at the beauty of the world around me. On bad days, I carry a sense of entitlement around my neck that turns into an ugly necklace of resentment. Right now the good days tend to far outnumber the bad, which has done wonders for that crick in my neck.

All right. those seem to be the important ones for now. my students have been coming up with all sorts of interesting things that they carry, which has the curious effect of lightening my load.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home